Off The Beaten Page encourages avid readers, particularly those in book clubs and other groups, to leave the security of their living rooms and seek to experience in person the places they’ve read about. Inspired by years of excursions with her own book club, award-winning journalist Terri Peterson Smith offers lively, expert guidance through fifteen US destinations ideal for anyone eager to mix their love of travel and quality time with friends or family with their desire for meaningful cultural experiences.
Off the Beaten Page includes
– Ideas for simple literary field trips close to home
– Practical advice for planning stress-free group travel
– Thoughtful essays describing each destination’s literary heritage and attractions
– Suggested three-day itineraries that include plenty of lit-inspired excursions—such as Santa Monica through the eyes of noir crime master Raymond Chandler; a Devil in the White City view of Chicago in the Gilded Age; and an exploration of Edith Wharton’s elite Newport, Rhode Island—while blending in “beyond the book” experiences such as Broadway shows, Segway tours, and kayaking
– Thorough location-specific reading lists for each destination, along with a profile of an author who currently lives and works there
– Resources for connecting with other readers and with literature: book festivals, author societies, and book organizations and clubs
Practical, entertaining, and inspirational, Off the Beaten Page is the ideal companion for adventurous readers or anyone looking to enrich their weekend getaways.